Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A terrible mother

I've just been reading a great blog, Never Been Hip. And was reminded of a day after school last week. I was at school to pick up Vincent, when I saw him start a fight with another kid. A teacher went over and sorted it out. The mum I was chatting to said "oh, look at that". I said "yip, I'm looking, and I'm going to ignore it and let the teacher sort it out!" Later, that teacher and Vincent's teacher came over for a chat, and I said "well, when he's sick, he's just a little shit". I mean, it's true, why the shocked faces? Or is truth a terrible thing for a mother in public? Should we pretend that it's all sweetness and light all the time?
Normally Vincent is a practical, empathetic kid, but being sick makes him surly. It's just the reality of it.
Of course, parenting as a competitive sport doesn't allow for reality. Either your kid is super-perfect or is super-terrible and you have 'such a hard time' as a parent. Give it up - some is good, some is bad, and everything is MORE! Kids give you more happiness, more frustration, more laughter and more moments of complete terror than life without kids will ever give you!

No comments:

Post a Comment