Thursday, February 2, 2012

Feminism and androgen-ism...

This article made me think about feminism. Is the aim of feminism really to make humans into androgynous creatures that are focused on the financial goals of capitalism only?

Sure, the world doesn't really need more people - there are over 7 billion of us already - and yet someone has to breed the next generation since people as individuals don't last forever. Some people try though. So many ideas all rolled into one terrible sentence!

Surely feminism should be about embracing our differences as well as ensuring that our individual strengths are best utilised too? Men are different to women - just ask anyone who has grown both boy and girl children. (this isn't me yet, as my girl baby is too young to show any gender preference, so far she's just doing baby stuff).

And shouldn't those differences be celebrated? As a women, there is something empowering about creating life and sustaining life (through breastfeeding and ongoing care). Sure, it detracts from a career in the short term, but life is a complex thing and career is not everything. And on that note, I'm a big fan of capitalism - it's the only system that has been tried so far that allows anyone to be born anywhere in the social and economic structure to succeed.

Of course, I have a career, and I get to use my brain to earn money most days as a self-employed person. Perhaps I have the benefit of 'having it all' but in small doses...

I think everyone has something to offer the world, and it would be sad to see everyone try and be all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment